Haijima Akishima Tokyo Japan
Hiyoshi Jinja Shrine
Notice from Hiyoshi Jinja Shrine
The 252nd Sakaki Matsuri Festival is scheduled on Sept. 15 & 16, 2018.
A Short History of the Hiyoshi Jinja Shinto Shrine
Although the foundation of Hiyoshi Jinja Shrine is unknown, it is said that it was established at the present location in the Tensho-year of Azuchi-Momoyama Period (1573-1591) as Sannosha (Hiyoshi Jinja Shrine was called Sannosha at that time.), when the adjoining Dainichido Temple was rebuilt.
ORIGIN OF SAKAKI MATSURI FESTIVAL
In the Edo era, in 1741, Sannosha was given "Sanno Major Prize". (Sanno means a god who governs mountains.) In commemoration of this honor, the village people began monthly contribution of 1 Mon (about 16 yen at the current monetary value) per person starting 1741 in order to rebuild the shrine building. With the reserve of contribution, the shrine building was rebuilt (the first reconstruction) and to commemorate its completion, a portable shrine (Mikoshi) was newly built and the people made the first festival on September 19th in 1767. This festival is the beginning of the shrine’s annual festival, which is now called Sakaki Matsuri Festival. (Sakaki is species of evergreen sacred to Shinto)
CULTURAL ASSET OF TOKYO
The situation of the first festival is drawn on the "Sanno Festival Drawing" (Tangible Cultural Property of Akishima) in the collection of Fumyoji Temple. The Sakaki Matsuri Festival, which is still performed as faithfully as possible to Sanno Festival Drawings, was designated as Intangible Folk Cultural Asset of Tokyo in 1955.
The portable shrine (Mikoshi) was repaired based on the subsidies of Tokyo Metropolitan and Akishima city in commemoration of the 250th anniversary in 2016.
As to the shrine buildings, on the first day of September in 1851, the second reconstruction work such as Main building, Torii Gate and God Bridge started. 1,723 of carpenters were mobilized, and the total expenses of over 470 Ryo (1 Ryo is said to be Yen 130,000) were spent, and the current shrine buildings were completed on September 9 the following year.
The shrine started large-scale restoration by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government subsidies and donations from the people from 2005 and the restoration was completed in July of 2008.
The main kami(gods) of the shrine are Oyamakuino Mikoto, Kayamadono Mikoto, and Hayamadono Mikoto. Sannosha was renamed to the Hiyoshi Jinja Shrine separating from the management of the Dainichido Temple by the separation order of the Shinto and the Buddhism in the Meiji era (1869).
HISTORIC SITE OF TOKYO
The precincts of Hiyoshi Jinja Shrine along with those of Dainichido Temple were designated as Historic Site of Tokyo in 1992 as one of the few valuable entities in Tokyo that kept well the old state of historical buildings.
The main shrine of all the Hiyoshi Jinja Shrine and Hie Jinja Shrine is the Hiyoshi Taisha Shrine located in Sakamoto Town at the foot of Mt. Hiei in Shiga Prefecture.
Middle of March to Middle of April-symbolizing cherry blossoms
Middle of April to Middle of May-symbolizing wisteria
Month of June-symbolizing Nagoshi no Oharae(summer purification rites held on June 30)
Middle of July to Middle of August-symbolizing summer flower
Month of September-symbolizing Sakaki Maturi Festival
Some samples of Goshuin:
OMIKUJI (oracle, fortune slip)
Omikuji written in four languages(English, Korean, Traditional Chinese, and Simplified Chinese) is available.